Irvington Historical Society
131 Main Street, PO BOX 23, Irvington, NY 10533 Phone: (914) 591-1020
Once known as "Dublin," the small hamlet of East Irvington was established in the middle of the 19th century by Irish immigrants, many of whom were estate workers and the builders of the Old Croton Aqueduct. The public school district built a school for the community in 1891 as the population expanded throughout the village. The original one-story building with four classrooms (each room serving two grades) continued in use as an elementary school until 1970 (a second floor was added in 1925). All local children then began to attend the newer Dows Lane school in the southern part of Irvington. The East Irvington building sat vacant until 1983, upon which time it was converted into condominiums. The history of this building is typical of many small neighborhood schoolhouses that were shuttered in the mid-to-late twentieth century as school districts consolidated student populations into modern school buildings on campus-like settings.
The buildings, structures, objects and sites documented in the National Register and found on this site have been identified as significant cultural resources in the State of New York. They represent both individual history as well as the collective history of the people of our state. This property is privately owned and is not accessible to the public. Therefore we ask that you please respect the owner's right to privacy. (Adapted from New York State Historic Preservation Office State and National Registers of Historic Places Web Page)