The Irvington Historical Society
___________________________________________
131 Main Street, PO BOX 23, Irvington, NY 10533     Phone: (914) 591-1020

Home     Events     The Roost (Newsletter)     Officers     Become a Member     Contact     Links


IRVINGTON TOWN HALL
National Register of Historic Places, 1984



     This brick, stone and terra cotta building with classical ornamentation and conspicuous clock tower was completed in 1902. Although Irvington only has the status of a village within the Town of Greenburgh, the plaque above the front door states "Town Hall," for which the building is still known. Architect Alfred J. Manning, responsible for a number of local buildings, designed Town Hall. The construction of the building was funded by local wealthy citizens, primarily Frederick Guiteau (associated in history as the uncle of Charles Guiteau, assassin of President James A. Garfield), and Helen Gould, owner of the Lyndhurst estate in Tarrytown (and daughter of Jay Gould). Irvington Town Hall housed the local public library until 2000, when renovations were completed at the
Lord and Burnham Building, which included the construction of a new library within the former greenhouse factory and office. 

    Although the library has moved from Town Hall, the building still houses the police department and a public reading room, to be kept open in perpetuity. The Reading Room, or "Tiffany room," as it is also known, was designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany (Louis Tiffany's father, Tiffany & Co. founder Charles Lewis Tiffany, owned an estate on the site of the present Matthiessen Park in Irvington). Town Hall also contains a 432-seat theater that continues to host theatrical performances and musical concerts.

 

 



Reading Room, Tiffany Clock

 



Reading Room, door to Lobby, with Tiffany-tiled pilasters
Quote: "Knowledge is Power (Bacon)"

 



Town Hall Theater

 



Town Hall Theater

 



Town Hall Theater