Irvington Historical Society
131 Main Street, PO BOX 23, Irvington, NY 10533 Phone: (914) 591-1020
The Reverend Dr. John McVickar, professor at Columbia College and friend of Washington Irving, owned thirty acres at the top of Main Street where he established the first Episcopal Church in the village, then known as Dearman. John McVickar also built a home for his son, Reverend William McVickar, first rector of St. Barnabas (the William McVickar house is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places). Constructed 1852-53 as a chapel and school from McVickar's Gothic Revival designs, the Church of St. Barnabas was enlarged in the early 1860s as a church edifice proper. Renwick and Sands, the firm of renowned architect James Renwick, designer of St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, produced the plans for the enlarged church building including the central tower and round stair tower.