The Irvington Historical Society
___________________________________________
131 Main Street, PO BOX 23, Irvington, NY 10533     Phone: (914) 591-1020

Home     Events     The Roost (Newsletter)     Officers     Become a Member     Contact     Links


McVICKAR HOUSE
National Register of Historic Places, 2003



     Irvington's newest addition to the National Register of Historic Places now serves the community as the home of the Irvington Historical Society, which previously did not have a permanent site for public research and visitation. The Reverend John McVickar built the house in 1853 as a residence for his son Reverend William McVickar, first rector of the
Church of St. Barnabas. The elder McVickar was also responsible for the construction of the St. Barnabas church, located a short distance to the north and also listed on the National Register. John McVickar's own house stood on Fargo Lane, close by the home of his friend Washington Irving. Local tradition holds that Irving enjoyed the view from John McVickar's home better than that from his own Sunnyside.

     The house passed out of the McVickar family in 1870 and a string of private owners followed until the house came into possession of the Consolidated Edison Company in 1957. Con Edison built a substation behind the house, and rented the house out to Dr. Mario Dolan, who lived in the house with his family for a brief time but kept an office there until 1984. Several other tenants followed until 1992 when the house was abandoned. The Village of Irvington acquired the house in 2002. The renovated and restored  McVickar House was opened to the public in November 2005 as the Irvington History Center.

 



Pastel drawing given to the Historical Society by the Fallon family, owners of the house from 1935 to 1957. 
It is believed to depict the house about 1937.